Friday, May 12, 2006

Raggae





I entered a challenge on Teddy Talk to make an anime creature. So, I planed carefully, looked at the cute anime sites and looked at what I had to make my creature out of.

Not much. Some cool yarn Penny gave me, some roving that K got me, plus obsidian beads. Oh well. So I sketched out some ideas.

My fingers had been twitching ever since I saw this one yarn Penny had included. That had to be a mane or something flowing. It was waaaay cool!

While I was at the in-laws, I worked on my creature. I had a small bit of roving that was a good color match for the yarn. I felted a little lion. For some reason, rocks in the head seemed called for. So I put a small container holding lapis chips and one crystal chip, to rattle. Then I decided I didn't want him so hard, so I felted over some cotton balls. They felted nicely! It seemed a good idea to make his nose the same color as his mane, so I did. Since I didn't have a lot of blue roving, I made his underneath parts from some grey roving. I made him sitting so his little pads show. I was going to joint him, then decided not to. I got his cheeks done, then he wanted a mouth. The better to roar with I guess. I wanted some eyes but all I had was some obsidian beads. So I felted some whites, and put his eyes over that. He looked soft and velvety. Next, the mane. Went wild with that, planning to trim it. But everyone who saw it said "DON"T cut his mane!" Carol said he looked like he had reggae dreads. So I didn't cut his mane and Raggae was born.

Sadly, with all that mane, Raggae doesn't photograph very well. But here's what I can get.


That's Ariels paw sneaking into the picture.


That's his little tail sticking out behind him. I don't know if he is anime, but he was fun to make and he's a lot cuter than the pictures!

Now tomorrow, I try Kool Aid dye!

No comments: